This Humanitarian Mission has been organized by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in coordination with Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Health (DOH), to be held tentatively on August 10, 2016 to September 10, 2016 inclusive of travel time. This Mission shall be led by the DFA and Philippine Embassy in Riyadh KSA/Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah KSA.
This mission is the Philippine government’s response regarding the crisis besetting Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in KSA from the three (3) multinational companies: Bin Laden, Saudi Oger and Mohammad Al Mojil and six (6) other subcontracting companies. This resulted to stranded/overstayed men in crisis situations due to the non-payment of their salaries, end-of-services benefits expired Iqama, non-issuance of exit visa for those who completed their contracts and are being delayed for repatriation. According to DOLE Undersecretary Ciriaco Lagunzad, Fresh from their camp visits in Riyadh with Secretary Silvestre Bello III of DOLE mentioned that there were more than 11,000 OFWs affected.
The focus of the mission is the stranded/overstayed men Filipinos in three major cities of KSA: Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam/Al-Khobar. In addition, the DSWD team shall provide psychosocial interventions such as counseling, debriefing, convincing materials services to distressed Filipinos.
To provide support to the “OPERATION BRING THEM HOME: Special Mission for Stranded Overseas Filipinos (OFWs) in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)” to bring home the stranded/overstaying OFWs in crisis and in addressing their psychosocial material, health and documentary needs.
1. To determine and assess the situation of Filipino in KSA as well as their Concerns and plans upon repatriation;
2. To Conduct intake interview to stranded/overstayed men Filipinos to facilitate delivery of services/intervention upon arrival in the Philippines;
3. To provide support for humanitarian and Consular Mission in addressing the psychosocial, medical, repatriation, and document support for OFWs;
4. To provide psychosocial interventions, medicines and other social welfare services in response to the immediate needs; and
5. To assist the Consular team from Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, KSA and Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah KSA in facilitating the issuance of travel documents.